MGA CARTOON PICTURE

MGA

Developed from a "one off" streamlined body, built in 1951 by MG’s chief designer Syd Enever for a TD entered in the Le Mans 24 hour race, the design was initially rejected as a production sports car.  However, falling sales of the TF model in 1953 saw BMC reconsider their decision, and shortly afterwards production commenced on the EX175, the car that was to be called the MGA.

Three prototypes competed in the 1955 Le Mans 24 hour race, to be followed in September by the press launch of the MGA, fitted with BMC’s new "B" series 1500cc engine.

Over the next 7 years more than 100,000 variants were sold, including the Coupe, Twin Cam and Deluxe models.